Saturday, September 6, 2008

Happy Birthday, Sweet Babies!

Well, I survived the day without shedding any tears.

The babies are now ONE.

It really hit yesterday. It was one year ago that the doctor told us, "We're going to deliver tomorrow." I'll never forget the feeling driving home that evening. The shock, complete, overwhelming, shock, as I realized what I had been begging for all those weeks was finally going to happen. Suddenly, we weren't sure we were quite ready. Suddenly, I thought, a few more weeks, or at least a few more days, seemed more than necessary, and certainly survivable, on my part.

The morning arrived, we drove to the hospital, and that was that. Before we knew it, the boys were here. I knew their cries as soon as they were born. I knew that nothing could top that moment in time. 12:15-12:16pm; my two proudest minutes in life. Isn't it funny that I felt like I despised pregnancy, but I loved the delivery? I remember being frustrated and uncomfortable throughout the pregnancy (I certainly don't remember it being as miserable as I had made it seem,) but I remember my delivery as the most relaxing, cathartic moment I've ever experienced. It was truly lovely.

And now, it's unbelievable to think that whole experience was a year ago. I don't know exactly how I feel. "That was already a YEAR ago?!" or "That was only a YEAR ago?"

It's bittersweet, I guess. My little boys are growing up. We had their birthday party last weekend, and I couldn't have asked for a better time. The day was gorgeous, the park was a perfect setting. The barnyard zoo was a perfect backdrop for our "Barnyard" party theme. Joel and Evan were absolutely precious; they didn't really get a good nap in that morning, so I was worried they may not be up to partying, but they were little troopers and on excellent behavior the entire time. By the end of the party, both boys were completely exhausted and fell asleep on their great-grandmothers (Mamaw and Nana's) laps. Both ladies had made the long journey from near St. Louis to come to the party, but I think that moment probably made the trip well worth it!

The boys received so many fantastic gifts. It was a shame that they couldn't enjoy opening them, but I certainly enjoyed myself! I was in the hospital for the baby showers, so this was my moment to experience what I'd missed last year.

Everything was just perfect at last week's party, and we followed it up with another fun day today. We had swimming class this morning, which the boys loved. Then in the afternoon we had some baby friends over for a "Fisher Price Party"; basically, Fisher Price sent me a bunch of toys (for free!), with the instructions, "Invite friends over and play." So the boys got two parties for the price of one... I don't think they have anything to complain about!

We need to get to the doctor this week for the 12-month checkup. I'll post current ht./wt. info when I get it.

More pictures to come, but here's a start!

EDIT: Pictures will be added shortly. Blogger is messing with my brain right now, and not letting me publish the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment